Google Website Translator Gadget

Total Pageviews

Sunday 23 April 2017

If You Could be mine by Sara Farizan

My goodness it has been a little while since I have posted that is because I have been incredibly busy with work and then I made my escape on holiday and disappeared into Scotland; hunting the Loch Ness monster. Although I never saw her (sigh) I did have a fantastic relax and a serious catch up on my reading. 
So latest video has been released! 
A review of If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan. This book was fascinating to me because I had never read about life in Iran. The story is a first person perspective of Sahar and explores her hidden love for her best friend Nasrin. It grapples with a lot of themes including forbidden love between women, suppression of women in the way they dress, transgender issues and how their is a conflict between some transgender people and some people from the LGB community. 

There is a lot to love about the story as well in terms of it being a exciting coming of age first love story. It was a thrill to read, I loved the range of characters and the window on a different world it provided. The writer Sara Farizan was really clear that it is just one story and their are lots of other stories out their about Iran. 

I think this is really important to remember that one story is just one view. It has inspired me to read more diversely and explore other cultures more. I came across this particular book through DiverseAthon through booktube. DiverseAthon is basically a period of time dedicated to reading other voices that you wouldn't normally pick up and choose to gain new perspectives and appreciation for a broader range of people.

 You can see the full review of the story above and below is a time lasp video of how the image was made! If you have read this book let me know I would love to know your thoughts about the book! Did you like their relationship? What would you have done in their situation? Were you happy with the ending?!


No comments:

Post a Comment